The Howard Crew

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cadiz or Bust


After consulting the weather forecast for the week, we decided to do a very last minute trip to Cadiz, because there was not any good weather in sight after the next three days and prices for the hotels on the coast rise drastically after Easter. We chose Cadiz, even though there are not many family resort type hotels, because the weather in Cadiz was supposed to be warmer than Marbella and it showed rain and wind in Marbella. We ran off to catch the train at the Santa Junta train station. Once we got there, we had to wait for the next train which was two hours away. We had not been on a train yet, so I was stressed in trying to get tickets to and from and figure it all out. We finally hopped the train for an hour and a half train ride. The trains were very nice and people are always very helpful, I think they are amazed by the size of our family! Once we arrived in Cadiz we took a cab to our hotel. It was so windy and cold! As we left Sevilla, I mentioned to Cassy that she needed to make sure she had a jacket. She said she would be fine, so she was wandering around in her shorts and t-shirt. People were looking at her like she was crazy.

I had called the hotel ahead of time to make sure I was booking a room with two double beds. It would only allow me to make a reservation for two people online. So when just Connor and I checked in while the others hid out, we were rather surprised to find that what we actually had was a room with two twin beds pushed together. FOR ALL FIVE OF US. This was less than ideal, but I didn't try to switch or anything because I was nervous they would discover we were a fivesome instead of a twosome. Cassy, Connor and I took turns sleeping across the bottom of the bed.

We figured we had come this far, so we might as well go see the ocean. By this point I was somewhat disappointed thinking that the three days was going to be a waste of time and money. We were so excited when we got to the ocean, which was really only a half a block away, because it was less windy and the sun warmed your bones a bit. Of course the kids couldn't resist running right out to jump in the waves and make sand castles. They got completely soaked and we didn't even have a towel with us at that point. They were having such a fun time that they didn't want to leave.




The next two days were beach days. The sun was out, it was still breezy, and we all had a great time. The kids loved just being able to run around and be wild! The water was muy frio, but it didn't stop us from playing in the waves. I think the boys had the most fun slinging mud at each other over some big rocks on the beach. They did that for hours and hours. Addy and Cassy searched for a lot of seashells. One time, I was out in the water with Addy, Alex and Connor so Cassy was guarding the gear. As I was walking out of the water, I looked up and Cassy was taking a picture of a couple of guys, but pretty soon the one guy was taking a picture of Cassy and the other guy, which is what they wanted in the first place. He put his arm around her and snuggled her in, I could tell she was mortified....












These are a couple of pictures from the one night we braved the cold wind and experienced the infamous seafood dinner. This is the beautiful Cathedral in Cadiz. Addy took the other picture...














No comments:

Post a Comment