The Howard Crew

Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer Camp

AAAHHHH!!! Summer camp week. I will be happy to have a little break from the running around and the sibling fights. However, I will miss my kids and my hubby a ton. Connor left this morning for Astro camp. He will spend part of his week at the Astro Camp here in Ogden and a couple of days in Pleasant Grove at another camp (it is all part of one camp). My little man will be gone from Monday to Saturday! I was talking to him about if he gets homesick and he looked at me with a quizzical look and said, "Mom, I am not going to get homesick. Tanner's brother's wife got homesick for japan and so they had to take a trip to Japan. I'm not going to be homesick!" Well, I hope that is true. He wanted to got to the camp with Ford, but they didn't register in time, so he is going it alone. I am so proud of him for being willing to try something so unfamiliar (and for such a long time)! He really is growing up. The tuition for camp is $450 and Connor has almost earned his half that he is required to pay, he just needs another $50. He has been working hard to earn the money. I want to teach my kids that they can do anything they set their minds to if they just work for it. Another idea I hope to instill in my children is the motto, "We do hard things". I read about this on another blog and it summed up how I feel. When you are able to do hard things, you feel such a sense of accomplishment, more than anything else, especially more than if you are just handed an experience. I still remember hiking 10 miles up to Ben Lomond peak when we were at girl's camp and the exhiliration I felt just for sticking with it, when almost everyone else (including my friends) had turned around long ago. Once you learn how to do hard things and overcome obstacles, it is easier to challenge yourself to do other hard things and to accomplish great things in life.

Cassy leaves for our ward Girl's Camp tomorrow. They are going to stay in Island Park and do some fun "roughing it" activities, which I think will be good for Cassidy. She has to have her bags packed and over to her leader's house tonight. There is a pile of laundry the size of Mt. Everest in her closet, I hope she can get it all together in time! Alex and Addy will be going to stay at my mom and Wayne's Tues and Wed night so that they can have their own little camp. And Matt will be leaving for a bike race Thurs through Sat. Like I said, a week of summer camps. It will all wrap up with a birthday celebration for Matt and some fireworks at Weber State on Sunday...

No comments:

Post a Comment