I usually make salsa every year. It seems like every year the recipe isn't quite hot enough or too sweet or too whatever. Well, my dad came over and we started the salsa about 1pm.....I finished the canning at about 1am. I have declared that this is the last batch of salsa ever! I must admit that I like this recipe better than the recipes from last year, although it needs a little more heat. I think if this wasn't my last batch of salsa, then next time I would add more peppers than what it calls for, or just leave more of the seeds in. I felt like I was cutting and chopping and peeling tomatoes, onions, and peppers all day long. And then the hassel of the tomato juice splattering all over the concrete counter and floor. I didn't even bother with the boiling water bath (on advice from Madilyn and Cathryn...I still don't feel good about it, but it would have been another two hours!) Next year the plan is to plant more flowers (to cut) which I know I will totally enjoy and they will give me more bang for the buck. I love the fresh veggies from the garden, but rather than planting enough to can, I will probably just plant enough to eat fresh. I do love fresh garden salsa and it is a little more manageable to make one little batch. It does smell good in here though!
I must admit, I do feel like I could tweak this salsa recipe and come up with the perfect salsa next year. We'll see....
p.s. Just so I remember...I used the salsa recipe from the Dining Car cookbook.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment