The Howard Crew

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Conference Weekend

I keep thinking of great ideas, then when the time comes to execute them I have forgotten. For example, General Conference weekend. I want to make a fun tradition of going out with the kids while Matt is at priesthood meeting. Then this will naturally morph into Girl's Night Out as the boys get older and go to the meeting with Matt. Well, this year I didn't really plan ahead and then my kids want to go and do other things with their friends. We ended up with a compromise and it turned out great! We got the house tidied up and then we put out the Halloween decorations. I gave all the kids their Halloween prizes (PJ's for Addy and shirts for everyone else) and some candy...inspired by the Halloween candy called "Boogers" that were shaped like boogers and were green. When I saw them at the store I knew I had to get some for Alex. After the prizes the kids went to work on making a haunted gingerbread house. This always requires a little patience to put together and let dry a few minutes before decorating. This year we didn't get too fancy. We did end up with a spider web on top and a gumball/jellybean front walkway. Matt was recently busted eating the jelly beans by Addy... Alex did a great job putting up the ghosts. While we made the ginger bread house I read some creepy stories from a library book. The story and picture of the pale lady scared everyone's pants off and they couldn't even leave the room. We had a great time. Then we ordered up some pizzas, Matt came home, and Cassy had her friends over to watch the movie Insidious. The boys played computer games until midnight, when Cassy's friends went home. Connor now wants to have a party with his friends this weekend, then both Alex and Addy wanted to have friends over....

On Sunday we listened to conference on the radio and were inspired by the talks on prayer and service. My mom, Wayne and Grandpa Udy came over for brunch in between sessions. It was fun to have them over. We ate Patty's Christmas Casserole, Janet's Buns and peaches (from Grandpa's tree) with strawberries. After the afternoon session, we headed up to Huntsville park. Cassy didnt' want to go to the park at all and said she wanted to walk home until she found out we were going up to Huntsville, then she just wanted to jump out of the moving car. We talked her into going and I think she was so glad she went. We had fun kicking the soccer ball around and Addy played on the playground (after Cassy kicked the ball in her face and gave her a bloody nose), shot a few basketballs and just enjoyed the beautiful fall weather we have been experiencing. The leaves are starting to change and it is so pretty, especially up in the valley. I heart Huntsville. We drove by and paid our respects to my Hunstville house and then we were on our way.

It couldn't have been a better weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment