I can't believe it is time to say goodbye! We have had such a great experience here and have made lots of friends whom we will miss. My mom has been here to stay with us for the rest of the trip and we have been on a road trip through Andalucia (southern Spain). More on that in another post. When you ask Addy what she will miss about Spain she doesn't even hesitate to say the ice cream and buying souveniers. This is a photo of us at our favorite ice cream place in Sevilla...
Here are some of our church friends. I took a picture of the kids while they were practicing a Mother's Day song in Spanish. The primary is more than double this size, but it was over Labor Day weekend (yes, another holiday in which all the stores were closed that took me by surprise) that I took this picture and many of the families were on vacation.
This fun sister gave Cassidy the flamenco dress that she used for Feria. She even let her take it home. So generous!
I forgot to take pictures of the adults and the Bishop in our ward. By the time I left the primary and got to class it was a combined meeting and then I just totally forgot. The people here have been very welcoming and fun. Some I won't forget... Cassy's Young Women's Leaders, Mari and her sister, allowed our whole family to tag along and learn how to dance the Sevillanas Flamenco dance on Friday nights. Juana, a very kind grandma, who always sat and spoke with me and was not one bit shy about the fact that I didn't speak Spanish very well. She would just keep talking until I was able to understand. My friend who spoke English and had broken her leg. Just about the time we connected and were wanting to get together it was time for us to go. The missionaries were always happy to speak to us in English and usually offered to translate for us during sacrament. Our kind Bishop, Bishop Lopez. He had twins born while we were there that were very premature (26 weeks), but despite his trials at home, he went out of his way to make sure we were taken care of. He was a great example and had such a strong testimony. He always called us "family". "How are you today, family?" "Hello, family!" Of course our friends, the Koh's. Carolina was our Spanish teacher and her mom, Ana, was a very kind friend who was especially taken with Addy. Jeff, Danny and Gabriel rounded out the family. We were so lucky that we got to know them. We spent our last day visiting with them at the Alomillo park in the 100 degree heat! How many friends would do that? Micah was the primary president in the ward and was very helpful with the kids and friendly. One sister, I forgot her name, was very pregnant most of the time we were there and had her baby just before we left. She was always very friendly and was a great teacher. I remember she spoke about having reverence in our lives for everyday things and the words she spoke will always stay with me. We were lucky to be among some wonderful, kind, and generous people in our ward. We made it our tradition on Sundays to pack a lunch and stop at a park on the way home from church. We usually were running late in the morning so we took a taxi to church and then on the way home we walked. The picnic helped break up the long walk. Alomillo park and the "fountain" park were our usual stops.
Cassidy had lots of friends from her vollyball team. They always included her in lots of activities and things. When Cassy left they wrote her a neat message on a Spanish flag and gave her a photo of them all. I took the team donuts to celebrate Cassy's birthday during practice. Everyone burst into singing "Happy Birthday" in English and "For She's a Jolly Good Fellow" in Spanish. It surprised us all and was very fun.
Connor and Alex loved playing futbol with their friends. Here is a picture of Connor with his team. While the boys played soccer, Addy danced the flamenco. They basically shook their booty and did fancy hand movements. The teacher wouldn't allow any pictures or videos:(
We are wrapping up a lot of homeschool stuff. Homeschool was a fun experience and we all learned a lot. We studied a lot of European history and arts. Hopefully everyone will do OK when they return to the rigors of school in the fall. Here we are doing our homeschool at Bar Rodriguez. Sorry guys, no more homeschool at the local bars.
This is a picture of Alex and Addy and their "Bubonic Plague" rat masks.
We made good friends with our landlord, Pepe. He treated us to some Morroccan food on our last day. It was kind of like Greek food, but different. The boys didn't love it, but the rest of us liked it. Addy especially loved Pepe's dog, Cora, but I don't have any pictures of her.
We will miss the many street performers and statues around town. These guys were the best...how do they do that?
The kids have been busy making Lego movies and fruit horror films with my iphone. Not sure how to import a video, but I will try. It is late at night, but I will try to add video tomorrow. More complicated than just a button click.
On the last day in town, I had to take the boys to get their hair trimmed (they don't like when we say hair cut, even trim brings on serious groans). I told them there was a famous opera about the Barber in Seville, so it had to be done in Seville. They weren't impressed, but went along with it.
Once the bags were packed full with clothes and books and everything we were ready to head out of town. We flew out on a discount airline called Vueling and everything went well except that I almost left the most important bag with the computer and all in the airport in Seville. I was a little distracted by a trantrum being thrown by one of my kids because she was thirsty. There is always lots of action wherever we go. We are now in Barcelona and exploring around here. We were actually glad to leave the 100 degree weather and head off to the 80's in Barca. 100 is muy calor, but the laundry does dry fast that way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment